Valerian: Sleep-Inducing Tonic
Valerian has been used for over 5,000 years. It is found to have the amazing ability to help relax, promote feelings of calm, decrease levels of anxiety and stress, and enhance sleep.
Valerian is believed to have been used since at least the time of ancient Greece and Rome. It was used as a folk remedy for a variety of conditions.
Each vegetarian capsule contains 500mg Velerian Root(Velerina Wallichi). See label for more details.
It also supports in balancing Vata and Kapha.
Besides being an excellent sleep-inducing tonic, Valerian has a number of other benefits,
- Helps in the remedy of insomnia, nervous unrest and emotional stress*
- Supports the normal functioning of gastric muscles*
- Promotes the stimulating of brain and clearing of voice*
- Helps in healthy eyes and liver and blood*
No side effects have been reported.
1. Valeriana officinalis root extracts have potent anxiolytic effects in laboratory rats.Murphy K, Kubin ZJ, Shepherd JN, Ettinger RH. Phytomedicine. 2009 Dec 28. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 20042323 [PubMed]
2. Anticonvulsant effect of aqueous extract of Valeriana officinalis in amygdala-kindled rats: Possible involvement of adenosine. Rezvani ME, Roohbakhsh A, Allahtavakoli M, Shamsizadeh A.J Ethnopharmacol. 2009 Nov 10. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 19900527 [PubMed]
3. Iridoids and sesquiterpenoids from the roots of Valeriana officinalis. Wang PC, Hu JM, Ran XH, Chen ZQ, Jiang HZ, Liu YQ, Zhou J, Zhao YX.J Nat Prod. 2009 Sep;72(9):1682-5.PMID: 19691292 [PubMed]
4. Sleep disorders: a single dose administration of valerian/hops fluid extract (dormeasan) is found to be effective in improving sleep.Ross SM.Holist Nurs Pract. 2009 Jul-Aug;23(4):253-6. No abstract available. PMID: 19574763 [PubMed]