Mucuna: Nervine tonic, Neurotransmitter
Mucuna pruriens also known as the Cow-itch, is one of the popular traditional medicines of India. It is a traditional nervine tonic used for centuries to support normal function of the brain and reproductive system. All the parts of Mucuna posses valuable medicinal properties and there is a heavy demand of Mucuna in Indian drug markets.
Each vegetarian capsule contains 600mg of Mucuna Seeds (Mucuna Prurians). See label for more details.
It helps in balancing Pitta (for soothing effect), Vata (for relaxation) and Kapha ( for rejuvenation).
||Kaunch, Atmagupta, Kapikachhu
||Velvet bean, Cow-itch, Cowage, Buffalo bean
||Seeds and Fruit
Besides being an excellent nervine tonic, neurotransmitter, Mukuna has a number of other benefits,
- Supports normal functioning of the male reproductive system*
- Supports the normal functioning of the nervous system*
- Helps in relaxation*
- Supports brain function and optimum performance of the nervous system*
- Contains an amino acid (L-DOPA) which converts to dopamine in the body*
- Helps in Parkinson's disease and supports normal neurotransmitter function*
- Supports normal function of the male reproductive system, and particularly normal levels of male fertility*
No side effects have been reported with Ashwagandha.
1.Isolation of a lectin and a galactoxyloglucan from Mucuna sloanei seeds. Teixeira-S� DM, Reicher F, Braga RC, Beltramini LM, de Azevedo Moreira R. Phytochemistry. 2009 Dec;70(17-18):1965-72. Epub 2009 Sep 25.PMID: 19783018 [PubMed]
2.Impact of scratching on itch and sympathetic reflexes induced by cowhage (Mucuna pruriens) and histamine. Kosteletzky F, Namer B, Forster C, Handwerker HO. Acta Derm Venereol. 2009;89(3):271-7.PMID: 19479124 [PubMed ]
3. Assessment of symptomatic and neuroprotective efficacy of Mucuna pruriens seed extract in rodent model of Parkinson's disease. Kasture S, Pontis S, Pinna A, Schintu N, Spina L, Longoni R, Simola N, Ballero M, Morelli M. Neurotox Res. 2009 Feb;15(2):111-22. Epub 2009 Feb 20.PMID: 19384573 [PubMed ]
4.Mucuna pruriens improves male fertility by its action on the hypothalamus-pituitary-gonadal axis.Shukla KK, Mahdi AA, Ahmad MK, Shankhwar SN, Rajender S, Jaiswar SP. Fertil Steril. 2009 Dec;92(6):1934-40. Epub 2008 Oct 29.PMID: 18973898 [PubMed]
5..Mucuna pruriens Reduces Stress and Improves the Quality of Semen in Infertile Men. Shukla KK, Mahdi AA, Ahmad MK, Jaiswar SP, Shankwar SN, Tiwari SC. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2007 Dec 18. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 18955292 [PubMed]